Snacking, no matter what time, its bound to occur at some time during the day. From sweet to savoury, there are no restrictions when it comes to healthy snack food. Although, savoury foods are more favoured as meal options, where as we commonly turn to sweets for snacking. Therefore, searching for a nutritious savoury snack option can often be difficult.
Pancakes are traditionally eaten as a sweet breakfast meal, but why not savoury too? Basil Chickpea pancakes are perfect for those times that you just want something warm and nourishing, but just light enough to satisfy. Giving a fresh aroma from the Basil, with a smooth texture, these savoury pancakes are easy and quick recipe that will take no time at all.
They are gluten free, nut free and vegan, making them a great option to suit the whole family.
Best served warm with fresh lemon, you will feel satisfied!
Mix, Cook, Enjoy!
Basil Chickpea Pancakes
You Will Need:
- 1 Cup Chickpea Flour
- 1 Cup Filtered Water
- Large Handful of fresh Basil
- 1 Tbsp Diced Fresh Garlic
- 1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Smokey Paprika
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Lemon
- Non-Stick Frying Pan
- In a small mixing bowl, gently whisk the chickpea flour and water until combine
- Add in the nutmeg, smokey paprika, baking powder, diced garlic and stir well to form a batter
- Roughly dice the basil, add into the bowl and fold through
- Season the batter with pink Himalayan salt and black pepper
- Heat your non-stick pan on low heat. If you do not have a non-stick pan, apply a spray of coconut oil
- Gently spoon the mixture into the pan, approximately 2 tablespoons per pancake is sufficient
- Once small bubbles begin to appear, you pancakes are ready to flip
- Flip the pancakes until cooked through, and set aside. Continue to cook until all batter is used
- Serve warm with fresh lemon and basil leaves or some dip and garnish of your choice
*Article and photo by Riarna Springbett